The Beginning

   Posted by: Mel   in Mom's Life Story

I was born Clora Mae Taylor to Ira and Margaret Elizabeth Taylor on May 10, 1936. I am the oldest of four children. My Daddy named me.

W.T. (Dub), Peggy Sue and Harlin Dee would follow. All being born by 1941.

I was born in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. My Daddy worked in the saw mills there to support our family. But we didn’t live there long after my birth. In fact I don’t remember it and didn’t return until 1991, when my Husband, Doyale took me and my youngest Daughter, Melody there on vacation.

We moved from Broken Bow to Adkins, Arkansas. My grandparents and great grandparents were well established there. In fact my great grandpa, Phillip Fronabarger had one of the biggest, if not the biggest farms in that area. It stretched over acres and acres of land. It is still owned today by my cousins son.

Back then, you tended to move where work was, so Daddy got word that there was work in Oklahoma and we moved. By this time Dub and Peggy had been born. We were stair steps in age. Once again, we didn’t stay there long. But long enough for my baby brother, Harlin to be born.

This time Daddy got word from my Grandparents, Grandpa McClure and Granny Fan (my Mama’s parents) that there was work in the orchards. Peaches and Oranges mostly. So we got on a Greyhound bus and headed out to California.

We didn’t have any money. And all we had to eat was a couple packages of saltine crackers my Uncle had given us. Daddy spent every dime he had on the tickets. And prayed that God would supply our needs.

Across the aisle in the bus a middle age black couple sat, they were married and then there was another younger man. Could have been their son or maybe a brother. They never said and we never asked. They had bags of candy. Some were hard candy, some were chocolate chips. We didn’t ask for anything, but it sure smelled good. The lady, I’m sure had noticed we didn’t have anything and hadn’t bought anything at the stops along the way. After one of the stops we got back on the bus, she reached in her bag and pulled out a handful of chocolate chips, leaned across the aisle and motioned to my parents to ask if it was alright.

Normally this would not be ok, we didn’t eat candy by the handfuls. But Daddy knew we were hungry, so he said it was fine. The couple would continue to give us candy when they ate it. I was thankful, because I was sure hungry. I never did know their names. But I pray the Lord blessed them for feeding four hungry kids.

We arrived in Corcron, California. Grandpa McClure came and picked us up in the horse and wagon. Mama and Daddy made sure to shake the couples hand and the young man who was with them before we left. I don’t know what Daddy said to them. But I’m sure he thanked them for their kindness. Pa took us to Exeter, 329 West Palm Street. Granny Fan and Pa had us a house ready next to them. And that’s where we settled down for the time being.

Daddy went to work in the Orange Orchard, he sure worked hard. I’m thankful for every orange he picked to feed me and my brothers and sister.

We went to the Exeter Assembly of God, Sis. Rhodes was the Pastor. Wonderful lady and minister of the gospel. Daddy really liked to hear her preach. Daddy became an Usher or Deacon as some would call it. We were faithful every Sunday Morning, Sunday Evening and Midweek too.

45-50 years later my Husband and I would be the Assistant Pastors of that same church I grew up in and our youngest Daughter, Melody would play the drums in Church for the first time. But we aren’t quite there in the story yet. I still have a lot of trouble to get into first.

L-R Back Row: Peggy, Clora Mae and Dub

L-R Front Row: Margaret, Harlin & Ira

Picture was taken about 1945

This entry was posted on Friday, January 16th, 2015 at 8:12 pm and is filed under Mom's Life Story. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a reply

Name (*)
Mail (will not be published) (*)